Module Evaluation

When focusing on recreating mythical creatures throughout the module, some of the outcomes were stronger than others. I found it hard to accurately illustrate some of the larger creatures like the Golem and Hydra, whilst the outcomes focused on bipedal creature had a better end result in process as well as aesthetic.




The outcomes I am least satisfied with are the Golem and Eastern Dragon. While I did understand the core elements of the mythical creatures to be able to illustrate them, the end result was rather clunky or the colour compositions just did not work. The east dragon outcome is rather over-saturated and the Golem is in front of a background that is also perhaps over-saturated. I have managed to get some of the key elements into the design however.

 
 

In all of the outcomes I have managed to capture the nature of the mythical creatures from the eras in which they originate, as I understood very well about how they were born and how modern media had adapted them. My intention was to compare the myth to pop-culture, so including some aspects of video game design or media such as films or animated shorts was the main goal. In nearly all of these, the research show in the outcomes and has influenced the aesthetics and designs of each of the creatures I have investigated. Some room for improvement is defining the personal space of the creature better, such as in my illustration of the Minotaur and Kappa. The outcomes of Medusa and the Hydra are adequate with some room for improvement to their composition.

 

In my opinion, the West Dragon and the Banshee are my most successful depictions of the mythical creatures I have covered, as they communicate the most relevant feelings that are associated with said creatures in video games and media. Dragons are rather epic as seen in Skyrim, and the Banshee is very horrifying as seen in Dead by Daylight. In doing the outcomes, and especially the outcome for the Banshee, I've been able to learn ways to illustrate different subjects and themes using my own style. I'm particularly confident in drawing human and hybrid characters, but I could practice illustrating more non-human creatures in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hydras, their features, and their similarities to Dragons

Picturing the many parts of the Dragon

Investigating the Japanese Kappa in illustration